Ever wonder how design pros achieve the perfect throw pillow arrangement on beds and sofas? With a few simple tips and loads of inspiration from our newly released throw pillow collection, Wendy Jane by Gabby, we’ll give you the tools to create your ideal look.
Decorative Throw Pillows for Couch
First, we’ll uncover tried-and-true styling secrets with help from Gathered , a North Carolina-based design studio with a knack for curating picture-perfect throw pillow arrangements. Whether you are looking to stack up decorative pillows for the couch, or layer throw pillows onto your bed, we’ve got you covered. Stay tuned, as the Gathered pros will reveal their favorite Wendy Jane throw pillows, and share some professional styling tips. Let’s get started!
How to Style Throw Pillows
We’ll begin with the basics: color, shape, and pattern are the essential building blocks of styling decorative throw pillows.
Tip 1: Choose Pillow Shape, Size, and Color
Gathered Group suggests selecting two of the three primary variations. For example, you might pair different sizes (like a 22 x 22 pillow with a 24 x 24 pillow) that have distinct patterns but similar colorways. This easy-to-follow rule helps strike the right balance of cohesion and contrast.
Tip 2: Don’t Make Decorative Throw Pillows an After-Thought
Ideally, throw pillows should be considered during the design process, and not chosen later. Gathered believes the biggest styling mistake happens when “decorative throw pillows are an afterthought.” For a truly unique look, don’t forget to take risks! Gathered often encourages clients to select bold throw pillows that make an impact with color, texture, and trim.
5 Things to Look for When Choosing Decorative Throw Pillows
Now that we’ve covered the basics of choosing decorative throw pillows in your home, it’s time to step up our styling game to really make them shine. The following five factors take throw pillows to the next level, by adding dimension through detail.
- Color Theory: Consider your preferred palette––color will influence the mood of the room. Cool blues have a calming effect, while robust reds will brighten the space with vivacious energy. For more information, read up on the psychological effects of color in interior design.
- Size Matters: Choose a pillow size that complements the scale of your furniture. A large sofa with deep seating will require large-scale cushions, while an accent chair may call for a more delicate lumbar pillow.
- Pattern Play: Floral, stripe, solid, or spots –– find a pattern (or two) that speaks to you. Pay close attention to the scale of each motif, as different pattern proportions look best when paired. For example, a dainty floral print and wide stripe match well.
- On the Border: Beautiful edges add another layer of luxury to throw pillows. Wendy Jane offers a variety of different border styles including contrast welt, double flange, knife edge, cigar corner cap, and flat welt.
- Delightful Details: Beyond pattern and color, embellishment adds essential texture and richness to the visual landscape. Look for unique elements like embroidery, tassels, or screen-printed fabric.
Fabulous in a Flash: Wendy Jane Essentials
Need the perfect pillows tout suite? With Wendy Jane’s new quick-ship options, the perfect throw cushions can be delivered in just 10-days. Discover Wendy Jane Essentials.